From the desk of Fr. Phil…


For this week, I would like to say a few words about our secretary, Fiona Pereira and the retirement reception held last weekend. I would like to thank the Social Committee and all their helpers for a wonderful afternoon. Thanks also to Dylan Prior and Kaitlin Vetro for the music all afternoon and Fiona’s family for the beautiful decorations. The cake was amazing thanks to Doris Zammit. The students from St. Paul Secondary School were invaluable in helping to run the event and keep things flowing in the kitchen. Thanks to all those who paid tribute to Fiona with presentations and speeches as well. I am sure that Fiona, George and the family were very happy with the event.

Fiona has been with the parish for 22 consecutive years. The position of parish secretary involves a huge variety of tasks and responsibilities. They are far too numerous to mention here but I am sure you can imagine the scope of work: weddings, funerals, telephone operations, serving 3 staff members, making appointments, scheduling all religious and social events for the year, Mass intentions, and many others. The accounting responsibilities alone are monumental: keeping the books in order, financial reports for the finance committee, writing up and calculating the yearly charitable report for the government and every six months, the Archdiocese. Employee files, payroll and Government source deductions, payments of all invoices, reconciling bank statements, tax returns for employees and receipts for parishioners are just a few of the accounting duties Let me say that every one of these duties and responsibilities has been handled professionally and timely. These shoes are indeed difficult to fill. I would simply say thank-you for everything to Fiona and I wish her a healthy and happy retirement in the midst of God’s blessings.
Sincerely,            Fr. Phil

THANK YOU FROM FIONA PEREIRA – I would like to say a huge thank you to Fr. Phil, the Social Events Committee, and all who were involved in putting together the wonderful retirement celebration last Sunday and especially to all  the parishioners, family and friends  who attended.    It was indeed a day to remember. I also want to say thank you for all your good wishes and the very generous gifts I received.  To all the parishioners at St. Dominic’s, my co-workers, and the many friends I have made over these 22 years, you have all been a huge part of my life as a Parish Secretary.  Through daily connections and encounters with you, you have helped me grow in so many ways to become a better person.  I will certainly miss my contact with you at the parish office level whether it be greeting and serving you at the office,  talking to you over the phone, simply listening to your stories, or contacting you regarding ministry,  etc.   My years of service here at St. Dominic’s has been extremely rewarding and because I regarded my job as my vocation I have truly given it my all.  Letting go is not easy, and I know that I will miss doing what I do best.  As my journey as Parish Secretary (I will still continue to be a member of St. Dominic’s)   comes to an end, another more exciting journey begins and once again, thank you for being part of my journey.            Fiona Pereira