ST. DOMINIC'S PARISH HAS A NEW Email: StDominicsMI@archtoronto.org ( Please note the upper and lower case on the email.)/

Lent 2015 has begun. Many thanks to those who came out for our celebrations of Ash Wednesday. Thanks to our school communities, St. Dominic, Queen of Heaven and St. Paul Secondary for preparing your readers and ministers for the Ash Wednesday school liturgies.

Fr. Ernest Munchai Ezeeogu +
It is with much regret that I inform you of the death of Fr. Ernie on February 13th, 2015. As you will recall, Fr. Ernie was here for a year replacing me while I was ill and in hospital.  Fr. Ernie was diagnosed with a tumor in the brain several months ago. Unfortunately, the doctors in Nigeria were unable to operate and Fr. Ernie passed away last week. It is with great fondness that I will remember him and his weekly joke at the end of Mass. Although I did not hear them, I heard about them and how much people appreciated  Fr. and his humor and good nature. After I returned from the hospital, Fr. Ernie stayed on for several months and it was during that time that I developed a friendship with Fr. Ernie. He was extremely helpful to me during this time and I will always remember his good nature and jolly disposition in the rectory. I will miss communicating with him on Skype and via email. On behalf of the parish community, I would like to extend our sympathy and prayers to Fr. Ernie’s community, the Spiritan Fathers and his family, both here and in Nigeria. Fr. Ernie, rest in peace.

Lenten Thoughts
To truly enter into the spirit of Lent is to grow in freedom, in discriminating wisdom, and in truth. It allows us to see through the cheap attractiveness of temptation and become inclined to the deeper truths that underlie our heart’s deepest, truest desires.

Meditation: What in my life attracts or tempts me to substitute truth for comfort, the status quo for conversion, apparent goods for the only true good in my life?

Today's Gospel Reading finished with Jesus announcing in Galilee, 'The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news. As members of the Kingdom of God, during the Lenten Season, we are called to repent of our sins that offend God. We are called to frequently remember the triumph of Jesus. We are called to triumphantly live our faith in Christ as baptized children of God. We are called to go forward and shine by our obedience, our servitude, our charity towards others, through prayers, sacrifices, all in the love of God. Doing so, we know that in the end, our triumph shall also be glorious through the salvation that we shall inherit as children of God.

Prayer: Lord, it is so easy to be deceived. Give me wisdom to discern truth, and the courage to live that truth in my life.


Wishing you all a prayerful Lenten Season!

Fr. Phil